Requirements of family travel can be complex based on the age group of the children. In general, families usually do have to plan more than the average individual traveller to make the most out of a trip.
What makes a good family hotel?
- Space – families require more space than an average sized hotel room which is why apartments have been encroaching on family travel
- Appropriate flexible sleeping arrangements including family rooms and travel cots
- Friendly pricing with value-added extras – some that are popular with everyone like breakfasts and flexible check-ins, but equally, benefits like half-priced children’s meals and complimentary activities are also important
- Activities – suitable activities for a wide age group of children
- Food – healthy food options that meet the expectations and needs of both parents and children are important
- Childcare – there should be options for parents to leave the children with a reliable babysitting service
- Attention to detail
Read more about it in a TripAdvisor article here.
So why not help them along with some thoughtful service enhancement ideas and highlight them on your brand website and OTAs?
Get it right and the potential to increase revenues and enhance service is enormous.
Here are some ideas and best practices for hotels to ensure that you are looking after the family segment well.
Hotel layout and facilities
- Interconnecting rooms for freedom, security and extra space
- For families with young children, have one or two rooms with a mini-kitchen to prepare their own light meals and snacks
- Children’s zone for complimentary movies
- Themed bathroom amenities like animal printed tiles, or colourful shampoos, bubble baths
- Children’s board games and toddler toys
- Offer “Rent a Car Seat” option as most parents look to avoid carrying them
- Children’s cutlery and crockery
- Disposable bibs in dining areas (in addition to the obligatory high chairs)
- Complimentary baby monitors for parents to come down to the hotel restaurant for a meal
- A do-it-yourself souvenir for children to take home that they have made on site
- A pre-arrival call to check with the family that they are comfortable with the journey to the hotel and if they have any specific requests on arrival
- A dedicated contact for the whole family during stay
- Trained Babysitters on demand
- Greet young guests at check-in with inexpensive welcome gifts
- Free advance grocery shopping service – order in advance and your fridge is stocked ready for arrival
- Children’s menu with healthy and child-friendly portions
- Possibility for a morning lie-in for parents. Children get to start the day with activities organised by the hotel
- Deliver milk (and cookies?) to children at bedtime